Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rail Bike - It works!


Yes, the rail bike worked! Here's its first trial run.



Pretty hot, huh? My friend Sam took the footage; that's his daughter Olivia. Of course, at the end of that run the tracks disappeared, the front strut device dropped, I ran over it with my front wheel, and broke one of the maple sections. So it was back to the shop.



I braced the broken maple, made a few modifications, and took it back out later in the afternoon. Again a great trial run! But turning around and coming back, the front device dropped in a gap in the tracks, and that was all she wrote. Both wooden struts were demolished, as well as two of the three wooden discs that hold up the outrigger wheels.

I'm psyched, though. Hopefully I'll get this back on track (ha ha) by tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now everyone is going to want one. DH

Tim O said...

Is that shiny thing on the front a cow-catcher? Are cows that small in Montana... maybe due to the cold???

Ray Sikorski said...

The cowcatcher is not small. I've just become enormous. And so has my railbike.

Anonymous said...

Ray,

I saw a railANT, this four-wheeled, two-seater rail bike Saturday in Cotati. An old dude and his wife rode on it from Petaluma on the same tracks that run through Carneros. Looked pretty cool — but slow.

TimO

Anonymous said...

juduhzeks [url=http://ricostrong.net]Rico Strong[/url]