Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Flat Stanley Goes to Bridger



Flat Stanley is this kid who was smushed by a bulletin board, and he wanted to go on a trip so his family folded him up and mailed him places.

Which sounds rather abusive. I received Flat Stanley in the mail from my 7-year-old nephew James, although I don't know how James got him. Found him on the street, squeaking for help? Anyway, James sent him to me to have some adventures with, and that's something we're never short of around here.

Housemate Ross and I decided to head up to Bridger Bowl today for the last official day of the ski season - and why not take ol' Flat Stanley with us? He seems like a good sport. Probably not dressed properly with the tie and all, but hey, no one up there really cares.

So away we go! Might as well pose at the entrance sign:



And, of course, if you're going to ski, you're going to need a lift ticket. We don't want any embarrassing incidents! Fortunately, I work at Bridger Bowl, and I'm entitled to a few freebie passes for my friends. Kitchen manager Tina was more than happy to help us out with a voucher...



...and then ticket-man Jeff got us all set up:



Not only did we get an all-day lift ticket, we got Stanley a Bridger Bowl tattoo for his leg. That should loosen him up a bit! The lift line ticket puncher couldn't help but admire it:



And then we were off. I'm not sure if Flat Stanley has ever ridden on a chairlift before, but Ross and I didn't hear any complaints from him:





We put Flat Stanley in Ross' backpack for safekeeping. After all, we were headed to the steep and dangerous "Fingers" area, and Flat Stanley doesn't need to be any flatter.



At Bridger Bowl, the chairlifts don't go all the way to the top of the mountain, so if you want some really nice, steep, untracked powder, you're going to have to carry your skis to the top. Ross was nice enough to carry ol' Flat Stanley, too:



And then it's go, Flat Stanley, go!






Flat Stanley made several runs on the mountain... and he even made a bunch of new friends!



Ah, yes, after a hard day on the slopes, there's nothing like a nice, frosty apres-ski beverage. Yum! It looks like Flat Stanley's getting the hang of life out here after all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ray I feel bad notioning we may have corrupted Flat Stanley, robbing him of his innocence with the introduction to alcohol and grown men with even more facial hair than you and I. The question remains- How old is 'ol Flat Stanley?

Ray Sikorski said...

Flat Stanley is ageless, Ross. I bet he could teach us a thing or two. After his Jack and Coke he was hitting on this floozy like you wouldn't believe... and he was getting some action, too! I think they rented a room at the Royal 7, if you want to check up on him.

Anonymous said...

Well that explains why I was slapped in the face twice by two broads on seperate occasions. They said "How dare you say that to me, I am a happily married wife of 11 years and two kids!" Apparently Flat Stanley had been talking to people from my rucksack yesterday unbeknownst to me. I wonder what kinds of things an ageless being says to the opposite sex?

Ray Sikorski said...

I thought I heard him say something along the lines of, "Hey, you've got a nice set of yams," and then something about how easy it is to fold him up and insert him in varioius pockets and whatnot.

Ray Sikorski said...

She wasn't holding any groceries, so I'm not sure what he was talking about.