Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I've been working on the rail bike...


...all the live-long day. And night. And then the next day and night. It's taking forever, but it's coming along. As you can see, the front-end assembly is nearly complete. I now have the added element of deadline pressure, as I'm going to be writing about my rail bike exploits for a magazine article. Please, please, make it work! This Bentley guy I bought the plans from is a piece of work -- I'm doing things like drilling straight into a solid steel rod, and then trying to screw a bolt into the threadless hole. ??? The whole thing is hardwood and steel and even raw iron. It'll be the approximate weight of a 1956 Buick, which I imagine is Mr. Bentley's transport of choice when he's not out riding the rails.


If the work doesn't look too pristine, please note that I was fired from the Flatiron mandolin factory after two days for total incompetence. Try as I might, building things is just something I'm not that talented at. My father would have had this thing whipped out in no time, but, alas, I'm not my father. It's been a challenge. Please, please, make it work!

3 comments:

Tim O said...

You need a tap and die to thread that metal hole. Take if from me, a Detroit. Lot of tool and die shops where I'm from. OK. I don't know what I'm talking about. Good luck!

Tim O said...

Oops. I'm a Detroiter. Not a Detroit. Can't someone copy-edit this blog?

Ray Sikorski said...

Does that mean you're not a Detroit?